DOLLARS FOR SCHOLARS
We, the RBHS Alumni & Foundation, will be overseeing the RB Chapter of Dollars for Scholars at this time. Here is some info about who we are and what we do:
WHO ARE WE?
We’re a volunteer-operated, community-based scholarship foundation affiliated with Citizen’s Scholarship Foundation of America (CSFA). We’re the Rainier Beach chapter, devoted to providing RB students with financial aid, encouragement, and support to pursue higher levels of academic achievement.
WHAT DO WE DO?
We have five main functions:
- Facilitate smooth operation of our chapter.
- Generate lots of publicity for ourselves.
- Provide academic support for students.
- Raise funds for student aid distribution.
- Distribute awards on a fair basis.
To facilitate smooth operation of our chapter, we need to recruit people, define our goals, develop our leaders, generate enthusiasm, encourage commitment, be organized, create an annual calendar of events, and act future-oriented.
Here is our structure, based on the recommendation of our Resource Manual:
LOTS OF PUBLICITY
Capturing the favorable attention of the public is one of the best ways to ensure our success. We should be involved year-round in remaining highly visible in the community through ongoing public relations efforts and promotion of our events.
We must inform the public about the following:
We get the word out by utilizing the following:
- The need for community support
- Our unique role in organizing that support
- The activities we sponsor, and their success
- Those responsible for our success
- The students who benefit
- Promotional materials, such as flyers and brochures
- Special events
- Support from organizations and companies
Academic support includes the following areas:
Our activities can be as simple as sponsoring a financial aid workshop for students and parents once a year, or as involved as setting up and staffing a career and college guidance program.
- Volunteering in the schools
- Youth community service
- Career guidance
- Higher education planning
Keep in mind that these are life-changing activities!
People will give us money when they see that we have a passion for meeting the needs of the school and the community.
We raise money in one or more of the following ways:
- Individual solicitation, such as via phone or mail
- Fundraising events
- Solicitation of major donors
This is one of our most important functions; it is a serious responsibility. We must make sure that the process is handled in a fair, efficient, and confidential manner. We are to distribute award applications, announce the awards, and keep records of the awards. We should also keep in touch with the students who win these awards, because the greatest future givers and volunteers are those who have been helped in the past!